All registered participants are required to compete in the shortlisting round in order to qualify. The top 80 from this round will advance to the onsite D-day and compete for the championship title and prize.
Format: Online test on HackerRank with multiple-choice questions (targeting fundamental or industrial background) + coding challenges, one dedicated for Students and one for Professionals.
Notification of the results of the qualification round
The Organizer will inform all Participants of the qualification results by no later than the 20th of November 2019. Notification will be sent by email to the address entered at the time of registration. Each selected Participant must respond to any email sent by the Organizer before the specified deadline in the message. Otherwise, the Organizer reserves the right to disqualify the Participant.
The Top 80 participants from the shortlisting round will come to our event venue to compete for the championship title and prize.
The Competition process consists of the following five essential rounds:
Solving tough coding challenges
Time: 2 hours
Activity: 80 participants will solve programming challenges in multi-stages with increasing difficulty and earn points. The results are automatically evaluated based on multiple aspects such as data structure, time efficiency, memory efficiency,...
Output: The top 40 contestants earning the highest points from Round 1 will go to Round 2.
Testing your knowledge of software engineering practices
Time: 0.5 hours
Activity: Using Kahoot app, 40 participants will answer 30 multi-choice questions regarding engineering practices and earn points based on the number of correct answers in the shortest time.
Output: The top 20 contestants earning the highest points from Round 2 will go to Round 3.
Discussing and debating architecture
Time: 2 hours
Activity: The top 20 participants will be given architecture challenges to solve. After 15 minutes of solution preparation, all participants are randomly divided into 10 groups of 2. Each group discusses/debates to agree on one better solution, and then present/defend their solution against another group in a battle format. Total 5 battles of 10 groups will be observed and evaluated by 2 judge panels based on their solution and their presentation/teamwork skills.
Output: The top 5 groups of 10 participants chosen by judges will go to Round 4.
More coding challenges: integrating APIs
Time: 0.5 hours
Activity: 10 participants will be given some coding challenges in which there is a requirement to implement some APIs to complete within the time frame with the tools of their choices. Their solutions will be evaluated by the judge panel after participants' presentation.
Output: The top 3 participants will go to Round 5.
Testing your "soft" skills, and handling pressure
Time: 1.5 hours
Activity: 3 finalists must walk into one pre-set scenario in the workplace that they know nothing about. Their task is to improvise their way through the situation with other "actors" until the judging panel gives a signal to stop. The judges will evaluate three finalists on their improvisation and soft skills to handle the situation (Presentation, Problem-solving, Customer service,...)
Output: The best finalist chosen by judges will win the 1st prize and the championship title of The Best Develop in Vietnam. 2 other finalists will receive the 2nd and 3rd prize.
We welcome all developers in Vietnam to register, regardless of skill level, programming language, and nationality. You may be either a professional and expert with working experience or a student who is interested in programming, as long as you are 16 years old and above. Both Vietnamese and non-Vietnamese can join, as long as you have a valid work/student permit.
Registration for the competition is completed exclusively online. The Participant must fill in the following information in the Registration form on BDV website: www.bdv.com.vn
- First name
- Last name
- Email address
- City/Province of Residence
- Phone number
- ID number
- Preferred programming language(s)
- Professional status
- Years of experience
- T-shirt size
There are 2 divisions: Students (for participants without any working experience) and Professionals (for participants with working experience).
To complete the registration process, the Participant must check the box indicating that she/he accepts the BDV Code of Conduct / Terms and Conditions. A confirmation email containing an activation link will then be sent to the Participant’s listed email address.
Only complete registrations with correct information will be accepted. Any incorrect or incomplete information entered during registration will be treated as ineligible.
- All participants should be present at the event. Leaving the venue for some time during the D-day is not allowed.
- Participants must provide ID paperwork with picture (ID card or passport) on the day.
- Participants bring their own computers/laptops (with GIT setup) for the competition. For those who require the Organizer to prepare computers, please inform us in advance.
- All participants have to be on time to set up their computers/laptops so that the competition begins efficiently.
- Participants are allowed to develop their solution on any programming language.
- During the competition, all communications from the organizers' officials to participants will be in English and Vietnamese. All challenges will be in English. In some rounds that involve presentation/verbal communication, participants can choose the language that they feel comfortable with.
- Participants can be disqualified from the competition at the organizers' discretion. Reasons might include but are not limited to, breaking the Rules of the Competition, breaking the Code of Conduct, or other unsportive behaviors.
- Any photos or videos taken during the event will be used by organizers to promote future events. Images may be used in press releases, printed publicity, and digital marketing platforms.
- Judge panel reserves the right to make the final decision in selecting shortlisted and winning contestants.
- The cash prizes will be paid to the winners in Vietnam Dong.
- Additional rules, modifications, and more details will be made available to participants on the day of the event.
- We reserve the rights to postpone or cancel the event without prior notice. In the event that this competition is postponed or cancelled, the announcement shall be posted on our website immediately. You agree to access this website at regular time intervals to view the Terms and Conditions (T&Cs) and ensure to be kept up-to-date on any change or variation to the T&Cs.
- We reserve the right to change these T&Cs or at any time without prior notice. In the event that any changes are made, the revised T&Cs shall be posted on our website immediately. Please check the latest information posted herein to inform yourself of any changes.
Everyone is welcome to register, regardless of your programming language, skill level, nationality or working experience. As long as you 16 years or older.
PYCOGROUP is a global team of passionate consultants and developers who accelerate digital transformation and deliver result-driven solutions. Present in Vietnam since 2000, the company employs more than 550 people on 4 continents.
As an early adopter and sponsor of web and software development in Vietnam (the first team founded 20 years ago), PYCOGroup is keen to showcase and promote the skills and talent of Vietnamese developers by setting up the BDV competition and invite both local and international judges & mentors.
We want to create a fun and rewarding competition for Vietnamese software engineers to compete amongst themselves and get a chance to exchange with and be guided by highly experienced judges and mentors.
The competition will take place on Saturday, 30th November 2019. We will welcome you early in the morning, give you some instructions for the contest before the competition begins. The competition will last 14 hours during which you will have to go through different rounds of challenges. In the meantime, we'll invite you to lunch. We also celebrate and award the winners in Gala Dinner on the same evening.
Yes, as long as you have a valid work/student permit.
Yes, there will be more than enough food and drinks.
BDV2019 competition is completely free for all participants. We will provide you with a Saturday's worth of swag, meals, drinks, snacks and awesome prizes to win.
A valid photo ID, laptop and chargers. (And your other personal things you might need)
The 1st winner in the Professionals division will receive a cash prize of 130,000,000 VND.
The 1st winner in the Student Division will receive a Macbook Pro 15 inch.
The 2nd winner in the Professionals division will receive a cash prize of 50,000,000 VND.
The 3rd winner in the Professionals division will receive a cash prize of 25,000,000 VND.
Among the prizes there will be swag and sponsored prizes that will amaze you!
Participants that are relatively new to programming and/or competition without any working experience should likely choose the Students division. Participants that regularly participate in competitions and are experienced programmers should choose Advanced.
You are more than welcome to drop by and show your support to our contestants at any time. You can also join a few keynotes that are presented by our prestigious speakers on the same day at the same venue of the competition.
If your company is interested in becoming a sponsor, please register here
If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or our Facebook page